The University’s Card Programs offers a streamlined payment method that allows staff and faculty to pay for goods and services in an inexpensive and efficient manner. The Card Programs include the traditional Purchasing Card (aka P‐Card) and the Group Travel Card . The P-Card’s intended use is for purchasing small-dollar ($4,999 or less), low-risk goods and services for departmental needs; this does not include travel expenses. All items purchased are the property of UNL. The Group Travel Card, issued to faculty and staff who travel with students, pays for expenses associated with traveling for official University functions.
Departments participating in either program determine who is eligible to apply, set appropriate spending limits, and monitor activity for appropriate use. Departments using the P-Card also identify approvers and reconcilers, whereas the Group Travel Card is reconciled centrally by the P-Card team. Any staff or faculty in the department who will be involved with P-Card purchases are required to complete training. All participants in the program must also assure that the card may not be shared or used for personal purchases.
If your department is interested in participating in one or both of these programs, please contact Card Programs at 402-472-5613 or your departmental business office.
P-Card Allowable and Prohibited Purchases
The following list is not all-inclusive. Please contact our team with questions.
P-Card Quarterly Newsletter
- P-Card Points to Ponder - October 2015
- Topics: Business Purpose, Card Limits, Training
- P-Card Points to Ponder - April 2015
- Topics: Expiring Cards, Declined Charges, Website Content
- P-Card Points to Ponder - November 2014
- Topics: Fradulent Transactions, Approving Official Website List, Important Reminders
- P-Card Points to Ponder - September 2014
- Topics: Policy Updates, Tax Reminder, Ordering: Contact Information, Fiscal Year 2014 Stats
- P-Card Points to Ponder - July 2014
- Topics: Card Limits, Conference Registration Documentation, Violations
- P-Card Points to Ponder - February 2014
- Topics: Decline Information, Software Purchases
- P-Card Points to Ponder - November 2013
- Topics: Approval & Reconciliation Verification, Proper GL Coding, Business Purpose, Card Sharing
- P-Card Points to Ponder - August 2013
- Topics: Documentation Essentials, Proper Approval, Sales Tax, SAP Descriptions, Card Security
Purchasing Card Policies & Procedures
An overview and summary of the Purchasing Card program.
- Purchasing Card - University guidelines (effective 7/1/2014)
- Purchasing Card - UNL campus-specific guidelines (effective 8/11/14)
- University of Nebraska Policy on Personal Purchases
Group Travel Card Policies & Procedures
An overview and summary of the Group Travel Card program. Revised April 5, 2010
Prime Suppliers Policies & Procedures
For questions related to Prime Suppliers, please contact Procurement Services, 402-472-2126 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Card Holder Application-Faculty/Staff
- Card Holder Application-Student
- Card Holder Application-Group Travel Card